- Course Description
The course is designed to help students familiar with the basic concepts of modern marketing and to have a solid understanding of the major decision areas under marketing responsibility. This course is aimed to provide students knowledge that a marketing manager needs to face no matter in conceptual strategic, tactical, technical or in administrative disciplines. Thus, by the end of this course, the students would have been fully-understood the marketing theory, concepts and techniques, and would have developed skills by using various analytical frameworks to implement such techniques to come out with an effective marketing management strategy.
- Course Format
The class will begin with either individual assignment or group assignment. For the individual assignment, students have to submit the assignment one day prior to the class and the class leader will integrate into one file to make a seamless flow during the class hour. The time duration for each individual is 3 minutes. As for group assignment, students need to down load the file prior the class begin for the same reason. The time duration for each group is 8 minutes. Students need to prepare the most relevant and valuable information to share under this time constraint.
Next is the journal paper & case discussion. Class discussion is the key for students to have more comprehensive learning. Class discussion will be composed of theories cases, journal papers, scenarios, or real-world examples. To have the ultimate results from in-class discussion, students need to complete the reading assignments prior to the class and take part in class discussion. To prepare for the class in advance is strongly recommended so that the instructor can lead the discussion smoothly.
Then, the class moves to students’ briefing on the assigned chapters. 1 student will present the chapter and each presentation is not more than 8 minutes. The presentation includes what is this chapter about, why is important, how to integrate with your own future plan or into business that you know. Students are encouraged to integrate her/his own life experiences into theory.
Guest speeches are incorporated to supplement the lectures in order to develop the relevance of the course topics.
Marketing Management, Theory and Applications, K. F. Cheng, Chien-Tseng Publishing Co., Ltd. 2014
In addition to the designated textbook, there are 5 papers and 2 cases which is a must read for every student.
- Class Rules
Be punctual – a friendly gesture to other colleagues
- To avoid absence unless Force Majeure – a right learning attitude
- To study and think prior to the class – create good learning environment and train to
- To be fully engaged and participated: train to be a good listener
- To be focus and be precise of every report
- Management is the combination of Science and Art; there is no the only or right
- Grading Policy
The grade will be composed from class participation, individual assignments/feedback, & group assignments in 6%-55% (5% for each individual assignment, 6% x 4 = 24% in total and 30% (2% x 15) for individual feedback), 40% (5% for each group assignment, 5% x 4 = 20% & 15% for final presentation) basis. The evaluation of your participation, reports and presentations will be based on how well you：
- Identity and address the critical issue(s)
- The thoroughness of information searching
- The rigorous of methodology been used
- Discover the key factors and parameters
- Apply the facts of the action
- Demonstrate originality and creativity
- Argue a logical case with cohesive rationales
- Please link with your real life experiences and cases no matter in class discussion or in your oral report.